Thursday, June 14, 2012

the film project: an american in paris.




One of my big goals in life is to be well-read. I recently decided that I would also like to be the film-version of well-read, too. (whatever that's called.) So. I am starting

THE FILM PROJECT.

Which is a fancy way of saying, I have a big long list of old, classic films i've been meaning to watch for years and I have decided that now is the time to start. I will be posting on the films I watch: what I like/don't like about them, how they inspire me, etc. 
do you have an old (I am classifying “old” as made before 1970) film you would recommend? Ooh, tell me please!

Ohhhhhhhkay.
I have a very shameful confession to make: up until two days ago, I had never seen an American in Paris.
I know, right?
I mean, I was an american in paris.
I had a blog called an American in Paris.
Like I said, shameful.

That is why, when I decided to start the film project, this film was the first one on the list.
And let me tell you, what a way to start a project with a bang.
Gene kelly dancing and singing in paris with a little french ballerina for two hours.
Gold mine!




Things I loved:

-this movie is drenched in color. Paintings, flowers, dance costumes! It was so inspiring. I felt like I was going to explode all over my sketchbook.

-gene plays a struggling american artist living in a tiny apartment in paris. AKA, he's livin' my dream.

-gershwin's music. Especially the scene when gene sings “I got Rhythm” in the street with a bunch of little french children. While tap dancing. It totally knocked the Mr. Holland's Opus version of that song right outta the water.

-leslie caron! I want to see more of her movies. (Gigi, here I come.) she's darling. And she has crazy ballet skills.

-speaking of ballet, only gene kelly (who choreographed this entire film) could blend tap dancing and ballet in one movie. Sublime.





"I'm a painter. All my life, that's all I've ever wanted to do. And for a painter, the Mecca of the world for study, for inspiration, and for living is here on this star called Paris. Just look at it. No wonder so many artists have come here and called it home. Brother, if you can't paint in Paris, you'd better give up and marry the boss's daughter. Back home everyone said I didn't have any talent. They might be saying the same thing over here, but it sounds better in French."

loved it.


2 comments:

  1. very fun idea! now i can just read about the movies and i won't need to watch them:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could we say well-watched? :) I wish I could watch them with you!

    ReplyDelete